Re: [OM] Albert's quest/even more OT

Subject: Re: [OM] Albert's quest/even more OT
From: "John Hudson" <13874@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 16:48:32 -0300
----- Original Message -----
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, 02 September, 2003 04:24 PM

> >From: John A. Lind <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > I wouldn't dispute the flash capability.  About half my weddings are "no
> > flash" during the ceremony itself.  The person officiating has the final
> > word on the matter . . . along with restrictions on where I cannot be
> > during the ceremony.  Some are quite restrictive.
>
> I'd like to add a comment here from the point of view of the "person
> officiating". I've officiated at several weddings, and have one coming up
on
> the 27th of this month, and another, for my son and his fiance, on Nov. 1.
>
>  I can't speak for what others do, but I usually try to follow the wishes
of
> the bride as to whether there are pictures taken during the ceremony. As
> John says, in the culture here, the bride is Queen for the day, and what
she
> says (and her mother) is mostly what happens. But my "advice", IF they
> follow it, is to restrict picture taking during the ceremony to the
official
> photographer only, and to keep that at a minimum, and if possible without
> flash.

That is the position my father found himself in years ago at the wedding of
his nephew in a "high" Anglican church in England. The parson dictated "no
photographs in my church during the ceremony".  The "my" was stressed. Of
course my Father took some non-flash photos with his aged Leica RF and a
medium telephoto from a discrete distance. The parson exploded with rage in
public right after the wedding.when he said "no photographs in my church,
remember." The parson was told very audibly in public "I consulted God and
He was pleased that such a happy day should be recorded in His house for
posterity." The parson shrank away like a wilted leaf. The parson and my
Father never ever exchanged another word and that was 40 years ago.  Those
photos were the only ones the bride and groom had of their wedding ceremony
in church.

jh

 My reason for this is simply that too many flashes and too many