Re: [OM] an Albert intervention

Subject: Re: [OM] an Albert intervention
From: Albert <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 09:16:40 +0800
CH, It wasn't a scare tactic... It's the truth.. The old burners (slower burners) seem to be MUCH more reliable.. Like the 2x and 4x and 8x's were great.. I can read almost everything made on those... Anything above them, well...

Another problem is operating systems. Do you trust M*crosoft to not screw you over? They can decide to chuck support for 16 bit apps in their OS, and render anything and everything you have obsolete.. (if you still have 16bit apps) With new 64bit chips out from AMD and Intel, 32bit will become slowly, a thing of the past. 64bit with splits is great.. and if and when programs decide to go 64bit, they might not support all the older formats, regardless how popular..

jpg2000 is much better technology, but the problem is jpg is so proliferative.. and also, what's the use of standards if they keep changing? But what's the use of technological of advances if the standards don't keep up with it?

I just played a few Commodore 64 games for childhood memory sake.. Boy! What we did with only 64k of memory was incredible!! But compare them to the Itaniums now... and that's what we can expect from digital in another 15 years..

Due to manufacturing costs however, if I get a 6x9, I don't think digital will catch up... it might not, even in 15 years..

Albert

C.H.Ling wrote:

You really scare me! I just dig out some CDs that burnt with my 8x old CD
writer that written in 1999, they are still reading fine. Sorry to see your
bad experience, keeping a good storage and data archival system may be
critical for some people but I don't see big problem yet. I'm still using
dBase III plus and Clipper 87. My program was written in 1993 and rewrote in
1996, they are still there and working (actually some of my late 80's
program that I don't use anymore is still keeping well).