Re: [OM] an Albert intervention

Subject: Re: [OM] an Albert intervention
From: "C.H.Ling-Accura" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 10:29:33 +0800

I have throw away my old 8x a year ago since it only work at 4x lately, lets
see how my one year old 32x work two years later. I bet you just bad luck, I
don't think I will lost any data in three years or even ten. Consider how
many people using CDR today, if it is true I'm sure I will hear this news
everyday.

> Another problem is operating systems.  Do you trust M*crosoft to not
> screw you over?  They can decide to chuck support for 16 bit apps in
> their OS, and render anything and everything you have obsolete..  (if
> you still have 16bit apps)  With new 64bit chips out from AMD and Intel,
> 32bit will become slowly, a thing of the past.  64bit with splits is
> great.. and if and when programs decide to go 64bit, they might not
> support all the older formats, regardless how popular..

I'm not worry, I will transfer everything to the new system if necessary.
I'm not a M*crosoft fan, but the data in my 1986 720K floppy is still
readable today in my PC (of course I have already transferred the data to my
230MB MO some years ago and now the CD). Honestly say I don't have much old
stuffs I needed.

> jpg2000 is much better technology, but the problem is jpg is so
> proliferative..  and also, what's the use of standards if they keep
> changing?  But what's the use of technological of advances if the
> standards don't keep up with it?

I never worry about such change, MS Excel is still supporting 20 years old
dBase II data R/W not to mention the international image file standard like
JPEG and TIFF.

> Due to manufacturing costs however, if I get a 6x9, I don't think
> digital will catch up...  it might not, even in 15 years..

15 years? I worry 10 years later I will not be able to get my slide
processed, here only a few E6 labs left. Even Fuji has moved the E6 process
to China and we need 7 days to get our slides back compared to previous two
days. I can only rely on one or two 2hrs lab but they are located far away
and run only in office hours, so I can only visit them on Saturday. Shooting
film is more difficult today, I can't imagine what happen ten years later.

I changed from 2MP to 6MP in three years, think what will happen in 15
years!

C.H.Ling