[OM] Re: an Albert intervention

Subject: [OM] Re: an Albert intervention
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 15:10:42 -0700
>From: Gregg Iverson <golftooter@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>Do you remember the Apple 2 GS?  I remember conversations with other owners
>of Apples that sounded much like some of the ones we have when complaining
>about how little Olympus cares about our system.  Apple always promised to
>support us, but never delivered

Yea, I hear you. Remember the Apple III? Neither does anyone else! How about
the Lisa?

(Actually, Lisa had an upgrade path to MacOS. My Dad's first computer -- which
I got for him -- was a Lisa with special ROMs to run MacOS software.)

I think in the early days, when Apple was the market leader, they had somewhat
of a Microsoft attitude about their customers. Now that they are a minority
player, they take much better care.

Perhaps this is a universal truth: if you're a bona-fide monopoly, you don't
need to care about your customers at all; if you're merely #1 with some
far-flung competitors, you don't need to care much; if you're #2 or less, you
need to care a lot, and if you're a bit player, you need to build a fanatic
following just to survive.

I guess that's why I like underdogs -- they generally need me as much as I need
them. I think if Apple were in Microsoft's shoes, they would not be nearly as
responsive as they are as a bit player.

Now if Olympus would only follow that pattern...
--
: Jan Steinman -- nature Transography(TM): <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>
: HTML email goes right in the trash! Turn off HTML if you want to email me.