[OM] ( OM ) colour prints

Subject: [OM] ( OM ) colour prints
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 22:13:22 +1200
Hi folks. me again.

Today I saw my first decent ink-jet prints.

I am investigating one of the most versatile photolabs in my town, one that
hitherto I have almost ignored. Kens.

See them at   http://www.kens.co.nz/

I think their web-site suxs, however, they seem to have a lot of capability in
their lab.  Somebody else made the web-site.

In addition to the Kodak LED II prints (I wasn't all that impressed with these
but maybe that was more to do with the prints they showed me when I asked
to see examples)(including on metallic paper, +20ost); they just have
installed an Epson Pro 9600 inkjet printer that will print at up to 2800 dpi.
Repeat, 2800 dpi.  And the printed image can be about (don't quote me on
this) 5 - 6 feet; nearly one metre, on at least the long dimension. If I
provided
my own adjusted scan it would cost me about $33NZ (say USD15) for a print
2x3 feet. (60 x 90 cm) and not the $NZ 50 - 70 they would charge for the
whole job.

On another forum, as some here will be aware, I have been asking for advice
on setting up a capable budget computer for handling images; with this sort
of thing in mind.

Why would I want to even think of doing this? Well, I have said before here,
that I have begun to appreciate my own photos much more when I see some
of them enlarged.  There is one in particular that as a 5x7 print looked quite
mediocre to me but I played around with it and the more I did the more it
seemed to have possibilities. And it's sharp as photos taken by me go.

I put it on the web months ago and it's still there. Upper-most shot at

http://homepages.caverock.net.nz/~bj/photography/zuikoholics/recent.htm

Even as a 8 x 10 print, while it looks fine up close, it invites enlargement so
you can almost walk into it.

I don't know how big it will stand enlarging, but it is quite sharp, and when I
spotted this image to capture, there was a VERY solid wooden bolster
holding up a road crash rail (beside a cliff) so I clamped a hand solidly on my
camera during the shot. It wouldn't have moved much.

So, at some stage during the coming month, I hope to have a fairly large ink-
jet print of that shot, mounted probably, framed and behind glass.  I have
about 4 others in consideration for similar treatment.

4. Not a bad selection out of 10,000 images??  ;-)>

Brian