Re: [OM] 2/250

Subject: Re: [OM] 2/250
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 10:43:00 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 5 Sep 2003, MiamiDolphins1 wrote:

> I do not believe I have ever held a black 250mm f-2, I own a black pristine
> 350 f-2.8 and I've seen photo's of the black 250mm f-2's, but I've never
> actually seen one in person.
>
> It is odd that the one on ebay has a white distance scale.
>
> It appears it may have been worked on, because it should be all black.

It has been painted black, and it looks like a rather poor job as well.
Take a look at the hood just above the knurled grip.  That's where the
engravings identifying the lens are located.  On this lens they've been
painted over and left that way, on a real black lens they would be white.
I guess it was too much trouble for them to "do it right" so they cheated
and didn't bother with the engravings.  I guess that's why the distance
scale is still white.  It makes you wonder what else they did to the lens.
                                -mark