Re: [OM] C5050 as a meter, was Quick Poll

Subject: Re: [OM] C5050 as a meter, was Quick Poll
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 13:32:00 -0700
Roger Wesson wrote:

- The best composition or framing (especially for a moving subject or macro shots) or moment will not have the best exposure.

This makes absolutely no sense to me. There is a 'best' exposure for any given composition, at least as much as there is one for any other composition.

I think Wayne means that if you take three shots of the same subject with three different exposures, inevitably the composition won't be the same for each (unless it's a static subject and the camera's on a tripod), and almost inevitably the composition you like best will be either the under- or over-exposed shot. This makes sense to me - I've proved this rule to myself empirically many times!

If this is being proposed as something like a corollary of Murphy's law, sure.

If not, and supposing that one attempts the best exposure first, then it says that at least 3 shots are necessary to get the best composition and the first will not be the best. So the point of being sure to only take one shot is that it will then, as the only composition, be the best composition, by default rather than quality?

Then perhaps it would be proper to propose a companion to " Rod Planck's advice, to get the exposure right first time and forget exposure bracketing.", which would be "Get the composition right the first time and forget composition bracketing." I propose this tongue in cheek to highlight my thoughts that bracketing should not often be necessary, when it is, it may be focus, exposure, composition, lens, film, hoping for steadiness in camera and/or subject etc., and the really valuable knowledge is of what to bracket and when.

Unashamedly ignorant of who this Rod person is,
    Moose