Re: [OM] KIEV anyone?

Subject: Re: [OM] KIEV anyone?
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2003 09:40:16 +1000
Hi Boris
I can't believe that a Kiev 35mm rangefinder EVER cost $1000 or any equivalent!
I have very last model in my collection - the Kiev 4AM with no meter
but with a hot shoe, plus 50mm and 35mm lenses. It didn't cost me
much - I'd be happy to sell the kit if you're interested as I don't
use it any more, especially since I got the 35mm in a Leica mount for
my Fed 2 (which I use as a backup for my Voigtlander R2)
Good things -
Unlike the post-war Contax, it kept the extremely wide rangefinder
base so it focusses very accurately. The shutter curtain make a
wonderful sound. It is beautiful in concept and appearance. The 35mm
Biogon copy lens is excellent.
Bad points -
Russian engineering - the very early (1940's-50's ones) are good but
pricey and collectible. The later ones from the 70's/80's are always
mechanically suspect  but are cheap.

I replaced the leatherette on mine with (fake) black crocodile - so
it's even prettier :)
The best information resource on these is www.commiecamera.com
AndrewF
(whose first real camera was a 'Start' - Russian Exacta copy)

Hola,

When I was eight, I saw a Kiev rangefinder for first time.  I did
not know much about photography, but it looked like a good
photography tool to me and also very, very pretty.  I begged and
begged and begged, but my mother did not buy it for me.  Then I
forgot about it for many years, but recently I remembered and also
found the reason why I did not get itÖ.I do not think I would trust
an eight year old with the camera that costs about $1000+Ö.(at the
time).

Now I can afford one (or be a greedy American and buy severalÖ

<):-0).   I would like to know if it is even worth having a camera
like this, what questions to ask when I buy one (you know, the weak
spots of the camera).  Also, there are several models, which one is
the best and which lens I should get?

Anyone wants to get rid of his/hers?

Danke very shone

Ciao

Boris

P.S.  Stay tuned for a special Sigma report tonight after I come
back from swimming in the ocean...:)