Re: [OM] Shift lenses - was: Allow me to introduce myself...

Subject: Re: [OM] Shift lenses - was: Allow me to introduce myself...
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 00:27:59 -0500
Mike,
Welcome to the list . . . expect a full mailbox . . . this is one list that can exceed the SPAM in quantity!

As to shift lenses . . . they are often called "PC" or "perspective correcting" lenses. One of the most common uses is with architectural objects although they have other applications. The image circle projected onto the film plane is considerably larger than the film gate. This allows moving the lens on its mount . . . up/down and left/right . . . to decide what part of the image circle will be photographed. In the classic application for photographing a tall building, it allows keeping the film plane parallel to the face of the building and by shifting upward one can get rid of foreground clutter at the bottom and get the top of the building into the image. If you have ever seen what happens when someone aims a camera slightly upward to fit a tall building into a photograph, it looks as if it's falling backward. This type of lens can be used to eliminate that effect. For more on it with some examples, see the excellent discussion about shift lenses on this web page:
  http://www.photo.net/photo/canon/tilt-shift

BTW, you can also use one to create dyptychs and tryptychs . . . and you can use the 35/2.8 Shift with a 2X-A to make a 70/5.6 Shift. Using one with a TC magnifies the amount of shift (with a 2X TC, the shift is 2X).

-- John

At 05:46 PM 9/5/03, Mike Ferguson wrote:
On 5/9/03 10:56 pm, "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Immediately after you buy one of
> those the 35/2.8 shift

OK, guys,

Just an hour or two after my post and I'm getting a lot of great ideas, and
a longer post in response to those is coming...

But I do have a burning question.  Can someone explain this shift lenses
thing to me.  I would hate to consider myself a stupid man (:-)) but I'm
just not getting it.

So, from first principles, if you would - a lens that (from what I can tell)
shifts up and down on its mounting - for why?

Yours confusedly

Mike

PS My wallet has scurried off into a corner and hidden - why is that?