[OM] Re: It ain't a Zuiko...

Subject: [OM] Re: It ain't a Zuiko...
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2003 03:40:53 -0700
>From: Mike Ferguson <mikeferguson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>I've noticed that non-Zuiko lenses are much much cheaper
>than the real thing... what
>are we paying for - the name, or is there really that much of a quality gap
>between Zuiko and the others?

Undoubtedly, "collectors" drive up the price of Zuikos relative to off-brand
lenses. This tends to be acute at the "New In Box" or "Mint" end -- you can
find cheaper Zuikos with blemishes that put off the collectors.

Also, if you never intend to make large prints (11"x14" or bigger) the relative
quality of the lens may be wasted.

That said, many of us find Zuikos do have an edge -- sometimes significant,
sometimes slight. I have been disappointed in some way with nearly every
off-brand lens I've "saved money on," to the extent that I end up selling it
and buying the equivalent Zuiko.

Others will dissent, and present good arguments, mostly based on economy. If
you don't have the budget, you can still take great pictures without a Zuiko.
But if you DO have the budget, and want SUPERLATIVE images, the Zuikos are
generally worth it, IMHO.

--
: Jan Steinman -- nature Transography(TM): <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>
: HTML email goes right in the trash! Turn off HTML if you want to email me.