[OM] Re: colour prints

Subject: [OM] Re: colour prints
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2003 13:02:52 -0700
>From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>I have seen something below, it support 12GB of RAM.
>
>http://www.intel.com/design/servers/se7501hg2/index.htm?iid=ipp_srvr_mthrbds+se7501hg2_srvr&;

That's a server, intended "for pedestal and rack configurations." Also, it
cannot support 12 GB today -- it only has six DIMM slots! They're simply saying
that someday, when 2GB DIMMs are out, it can take up to 12 GB. Apple loses the
"vaporware" contest here -- since they have 16 DIMM slots, they should claim
they "support" 32 GB, but they only modestly claim what can be fit in those 16
slots today -- 8 GB. The Intel board is also "page swapped" RAM, which requires
special OS support -- it is not directly addressable by the Xeon processor.

As a true 64 bit processor, Apple could claim support for over a terabyte of
RAM if it wanted to be as dishonest as Intel.

Also, I specifically mentioned "personal computer," meaning one designed to be
used by a single user on a desktop. This is different (and cheaper) than a
server.

Of course there are lots of computers that can address more than 2GB, but I'm
fairly certain the Apple G5 is the only desktop personal computer capable of
doing so.

>This cheaper one support 4GB.

With only 4 DIMM slots! Maybe someday, but not today! It was not clear from
their "Tested Memory" link where you would obtain such devices, whereas the G5
takes standard PC3200 DDR RAM to get to 8MB, available everywhere for about
$130/GB.

Maybe I'm missing something, but it looks like Intel either is blowing smoke,
or is simply willing to supply you with super-expensive, non-standard RAM.
Either way, it's not a fair comparison.

--
: Jan Steinman -- nature Transography(TM): <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>
: HTML email goes right in the trash! Turn off HTML if you want to email me.