Re: [OM] Re: colour prints

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: colour prints
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 09:44:51 -0300
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jan Steinman" <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, September 06, 2003 5:02 PM
Subject: [OM] Re: colour prints

> That's a server, intended "for pedestal and rack configurations." Also, it
cannot support 12 GB
> today -- it only has six DIMM slots! They're simply saying that someday,
when 2GB DIMMs
> are out, it can take up to 12 GB. Apple loses the "vaporware" contest
here -- since they have
> 16 DIMM slots, they should claim they "support" 32 GB, but they only
modestly claim what
> can be fit in those 16 slots today -- 8 GB. The Intel board is also "page
swapped" RAM, which
> requires special OS support -- it is not directly addressable by the Xeon
processor.

Actually, the G5 only has 8 dimm slots, they're quoting the 8GB figure based
on 1GB dimms (which are readily available as someone else pointed out). I
believe someone else mentioned that 2GB dimms are available (or becoming
available). As you mentioned though, Apple is always very conservative with
their max memory quotes. The original spec sheet for my beige G3 says it
will only take 384MB of ram (3 x 128MB) but it will take 256MB dimms (with
some caveats due to the limitations of the board) to get it up to 768MB.
Apple's 8GB figure isn't based on the max the board can handle, just on the
max that is available right now. 2GB dimms will probably work fine so then
the max would be 16GB.

OM content, I'm seriously looking at buying one of the new G5's which will
make it easier for working with all the scans of my OM shots. Also, I've
been considering buying some other camera equipment (either MF or RF) and if
I drop my savings into the G5 then I definitely won't be making any major
camera purchases for a bit and that will keep me using my OM gear more.

Andrew "frugal" Dacey
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.tildefrugal.net/