Re: [OM] Re: OT Re: Macs vs PCs; 16-bit apps

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: OT Re: Macs vs PCs; 16-bit apps
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 14:18:00 -0700
on 9/6/03 10:41 AM, Gregg Iverson at golftooter@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> We have had numerous short term blackouts this summer with almost daily
> lightening storms.  Even worse are the spikes.  I will hear the UPS respond
> mere moments before I hear the thunder - when the storm is not
> nearby.  Last winter we had ice knock out the power for eight days.  Which
> century is this???
>
> gregg
>
>> My entire office is supplied by a 3 kVA UPS. It feels soooo good when the
>>> lights flicker, and I continue working on that image I've just spent
>> days on.
>>
>> Hey, unbelievable. Here I have uninterrupted 220v line current supply 365
>> days continuously. But the roads are so bad and the fuel so expensive that
>> you'd better with a donkey cart, which are becoming very common.
>>
>> Last blackout, about 2 years ago was due to an stupid hunter who shot an
>> aerial high voltage main wire feeding Mvd. Another one, four years ago was
>> due to a big south storm which broke the towers from which the wires hanged.

Time to think about 'dropping off the grid'...?

I read an article somewhere after the 'Great East Coast Blackout' which
suggested that the electrical power network was heading in the wrong
direction e.g. few large production plants and an elaborate, delicate and
vulnerable distribution network. The alternative suggested was an 'internet'
model, i.e. many sources (servers) of power and multiple flexible routing of
the output. So photovoltaic, cogeneration, wind power, and minihydro would
all provide a more robust and secure power network.

Of course, many small individual power producers don't provide the same
level of campaign contributions as the larger power companies do, so we'll
see how long it takes for -this- to happen...
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...