[OM] Re: Colour prints

Subject: [OM] Re: Colour prints
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 10:03:52 +1200
Jan wrote
> >If I provided
> >my own adjusted scan it would cost me about $33NZ (say USD15) for a print 2x3
> >feet. (60 x 90 cm) and not the $NZ 50 - 70 they would charge for the whole
> >job.
>
> Good luck! At that price, you're almost certainly getting dye-based inks and
> cheap media. It may have a lifetime measured in months, or at best,
> single-digit
> years! (Good cotton watercolor paper alone costs them more than that! Cotton
> paper and pigmented ink will generally last for decades.)

 I asked the shop (e-mail) what they used and here is their reply from the guy
who runs the printers:-

Quote:
"We use ultra chrome pigmented inks.
We are currently stocking 2 Epson papers, a premium photo luster which
has a durability of 71 years (behind a class frame) and 48 years unframed.
Also an Epson enhanced matte with a durability of 64 years framed and 41
unframed. We do not stock any water colour paper. However we may be
stocking a canvas in the near future. Which has a life of 69 and 37 yrs Thank
you." Close quote

Hope that explains things a little better.

Brian