Re: [OM] Is 8x12" a common print size?

Subject: Re: [OM] Is 8x12" a common print size?
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 18:44:55 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 7 Sep 2003, Per Ohstrom wrote:

> This is an interesting format question. I have never seen an 8x12 (which I
> think would be the equivalent of 20x30 cm) in Sweden.
>
> In fact, I have for some time wondered how widespread the 8x10 format is.
> It seems to be the most common print enlarging format in USA and probably
> many, many other areas of the world. However, in Sweden you can't even buy
> print paper in this size (20x25 cm) except by special order. Here, the
> 'standard' formats are 9x13 cm, 13x18 cm, 18x24 cm, 24x30 cm, 30x40 cm, and
> 40x50 cm. That is, if you do the printing yourself. The standard print size
> from a photo lab is 10x15 cm. It is usually also possible to order a 15x21
> cm, but not 20x25 cm. I have no idea at all why the 8x10" hasn't had the
> seemingly universal success in my country. Are there other countries out
> there where the 8x10s are similarly uncommon?

Minilabs don't use sheet paper, they use rolls.  The usual size rolls they use
are 4", 8", and 12" wide from which they can make 4x5, 8x10, 8x12, and 12x18
sized prints.  It's no more difficult for them to produce an 8x12 than it is
an 8x10.  8x12 is starting to become more popular as more labs offer it, but
finding off the shelf frames for the print can be difficult.  The same with
12x18, you have to get a custom made frame for it unless you plan on cutting
the print down to 11x14.
                                -mark