Re: [OM] Is 8x12" a common print size?

Subject: Re: [OM] Is 8x12" a common print size?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 21:11:41 -0400
Albert asked:
<snip> something caught my eye. 8x10's were only about $2US.. and above it.. 8x12's!! <snip> Is this a common size? They didn't charge more for the 8x12 vs the 8x10..
The shop down the street from me always prints an 8x12 from 35mm slides or negs. If you want 8x10 they will crop it to your specs by slicing off the unwanted ends of the print. The don't do it for $2 though!!

Then Per asked:
I have for some time wondered how widespread the 8x10 format is.
It seems to be the most common print enlarging format in USA and probably many, many other areas of the world.
It is my understanding (probably learned on this list) that 8x10 is a common print size in the US since 8x10 was a common size for glass window panes in the US. Early photogs had to make their own glass plates by pouring an emulsion onto a piece of sheet glass picked up at the local hardware store. An 8x10 print could then be made as a simple contact exposure. You can't expect us to change much in only 150 years Per.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA