Re: [OM] NOW: [OT] G5 Memory capability isn't new

Subject: Re: [OM] NOW: [OT] G5 Memory capability isn't new
From: "Scott Gomez" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 19:11:34 -0700
*WARNING, minimal OM content below*

I currently run the board with 1GB of memory (4 256MB sticks) and dual 1.8 GHz
P4 Xeons.

I bought this machine to last me like my previous Iwill did--some 5 years.

Contrary to what seems to be a common misconception I've seen repeated on-list
lately, Wintel systems can be "stable enough". Since switching from Win95 to
the NT branch of the Windows family some years ago, I have none--repeat,
NONE--of the oft-cited by non-Wintel users (or by users of the greatly inferior
Win9x series of OS software) problems of crashes, spontaneous reboots, data
loss, etc. etc.

I've had data loss exactly once in about the last 10 years of PC use. A failed
SCSI disk that I had been too lazy to back up (and one that was likely "Apple
compatible" too, if that means anything). I've had no crashes of the OS that
weren't a result of failed *hardware*.

With the price of a G5 *starting* at an astronomical (to my way of thinking,
anyway) $1999, and the 2 minute cost of a reboot should I, in fact, need one at
an inconvenient time (which basically *never* happens) I figure I'm many $$
ahead over the 5 year life-cycle I anticipate, even should I have to reboot
every day.

I've owned and used BOTH (and Linux-on-Wintel as well). The performance "gains"
usually measured in MIPS (Marketing Interpretations Per Second) to switch to an
Apple (or Linux) and replace all my software simply don't make economic sense
to me, and haven't for many years now. If I was routing aircraft in flight with
it, I might be somewhat more concerned.

FWIW, the only reason I replaced my old Iwill Wintel board was a failure of the
Adaptec SCSI chip on-board. Kinda fatal for a guy running a SCSI-based system...

YMMV. I don't care. If you like Apple, use one. If you like Wintel, use it. If
ya want Linux, use one that. Hell, if I could have figured an easy way to do
it, I might have bought a bargain-basement-priced end-of-life Data General MV
series and used that. Platform matters not a whit, as long as you can get the
job done in a way that works, so I'll leave the proselytizing to those more
zealous than I.

They're all just tools, and one uses what works, and switches when it no longer
does. All this is sorta like arguing over whether one should own a Makita or a
Milwaukee reciprocating saw and I shoulda known better than even to have
commented on the memory size thing. *SIGH* The whole computer platform debate
*might* end before the sun goes out, but I seriously doubt it. It serves
slightly less useful function than tits on a boar.

OB OM content: All the above is just a long-winded way of saying I'd rather be
shooting my OMs (and spending my money on film and processing) than spending
extra bucks just to get that cute little Apple logo on my desk.

---
Scott Gomez