Re: [OM] KIEV anyone?

Subject: Re: [OM] KIEV anyone?
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 17:47:50 +0100
Boris, sorry for a belated response on this, hope it isn't already too late.

Nice looking cameras are the Kievs, if you are talking about the
Contaxskies.  Same for the Kiev 88  Hasselbladovich.  Can't say the same
about the Kiev 60 Pentacov 6. Or to put it another way, there are Kievs and
there are Kievs - which do you mean?  And I haven't even mentioned the
Leningrad clockwork motor drive model!

In all cases, bear in mind the perennial problem of variable quality control
- especially now that so many domestic market examples are available on the
net.  Way back then, the Western importers could weed out any no-hopers that
made it onto the export market.  Guess where the ones that didn't make it
ended up?

If you are talking about the 35mm type, bear in mind also that we are
talking about a pre-war design possibly made on pre-war tooling.  I suggest
it isn't questions you need to ask, so much as get your hands on one and see
if it works.  And the same with the lenses, although perhaps with less at
stake (there being less to go wrong).  And do not expect handling anything
like what you are accustomed to with OM.

Unless you simply want one for display purposes - I have seen an early Zenit
SLR (39mm thread) with the most beautiful stainless steel, titanium, brass
lens that it would be a crime to use (even if they did work).

If you are talking about one of the 6x6 models, then consider carefully the
advantage of buying a re-worked model from a US importer (or better still,
for those based in Europe, from a European importer).  A Google search for
Hartblei and kievaholic will help, as will a look at Robert Monaghan's site
medfmt.8k.com

Some swear by their results.  I had perfectly acceptable results from a
Zenit for ten years (until I bought an OM10) but I can tell you that the
ergonomics were perfectly unacceptable.  I am happy to use an Arsat 35mm
lens nowadays, and glad that I didn't buy a cheap Kiev 88 "NIB" when I had
the chance - an M645 is enough of a handful WITH good ergonomics and
reliability.  Without, it would be a poor-performing paperweight. Perhaps.

HTH - and good luck (you may need it)!

Piers