Re: [OM] (OT) Kodak film formats

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) Kodak film formats
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 21:04:08 -0700
on 9/8/03 1:08 PM, Jamie Costello at jcostel1168@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I just was given a set of B&W negatives (my parents' 1954 wedding) that are
> in a format I don't readily recognize.  The actual image is approx. 3"x4"
> and the negatie size is approx. 3 1/4 x 4 3/8.  Each is marked "Kodak Safety
> Film" and has a frame number.  There are no sprocket holes and no film type
> designation.
>
> Any ideas as to film type and format?   Thanks.
>
> Jamie
> Fort Myers, FL

Sounds like 3-1/4" x 4-1/4" or what was also called "9cm x 12cm". This was a
fairly common size for sheet film and 'film packs' probably most commonly in
use about 40-90 years ago... Most of these sheet films had notches cut into
one edge in a certain pattern that identified the film type, etc. I think 4"
x 5" film still has the notches, but I'm not sure. I know there were a lot
of old 'Graflex' type cameras made to use this size.

[trigger enabler mode]

This makes you a good candidate for getting a high-resolution flatbed
scanner with transparency adapter e.g. Epson 3200 or similar. I suspect
anyplace that can make prints from 4" x 5" film can print from these
negatives as well, all they would really need would be the correct negative
holder frame.
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...