Re: [OM] (OT) Kodak film formats

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) Kodak film formats
From: "Walt Wayman" <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 08:59:47 -0400
I'm still betting these negatives came from a film pack,
particularly since they are numbered, and almost certainly so if
the numbers go from 1 to 12.  Film packs were fairly popular back
in olden times, and they were much faster in use than sheet film,
and even faster than roll film backs, both in shooting and
reloading.

For your reading enjoyment and edification in the arcane, I have
extracted the following from the 1958 edition of "Graphic Graflex
Photography For Prize winning Pictures" by Willard D. Morgan,
which is sort of the bible for those of us old farts who still use
these ancient, but wonderful, cameras.

"Film pack adapters are made to fit Graflex, Graphic and Graflok
backs in all three sizes."  (4x5, 3¼x4¼, and 2¼x3¼)  "The adapter
itself is simply a small metal container, fitted with a dark
slide, having a door on the opposite or back side into which the
film pack may be inserted in daylight.

"A film pack contains 12 individual pieces of thin film, each
attached to a numbered paper tab.  After exposure, pulling on the
tab transfers the exposed film to the back of the pack, leaving
the next film in place for exposure.  This tab may be torn off and
discarded, since it has no further function after it has
transferred the film to its final position.  Some photographers
jot down on this tab the exposure data or facts relating to the
subject, since each tab bears a number corresponding to that on
the piece of film to which it was attached, permitting easy
matching of negative and data after processing."

I still have a couple of 2¼x3¼ film pack adapters somewhere around
here.  Nobody makes film for them anymore, though.

Walt, now with two obsolete camera systems.