Re: [OM] Esoteric OM items...

Subject: Re: [OM] Esoteric OM items...
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 18:24:44 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 9 Sep 2003, John Duggan wrote:

> Interesting timing Donald,
>                     I have just been looking at a site which shows a boxed
> PM-6 and PM-7 camera at £150 each.

That's a more realistic price, but still a bit on the expensive side.  Typical
prices are in the $100-$150 range for a complete unit with box.

>          Does anyone have any information on either of these cameras,  are
> they useable? can they be fitted to a telescope? Are they a worthwhile buy?

Any camera from that era will likely need servicing before being able to be
used.  Just like in our OM's, the foam seals and shock pads will be deteriorated
if they're original.  The Copal shutter will probably also need a good cleaning
to get it back to proper operation.  For photomicrography I'd recommend buying
a PM-10AD system instead.  They can be had for the same amount of money and
are fully automatic.  As for using the PM-6 or PM-7 on a telescope, forget it,
they're designed specifically for the focal length and eyepieces of a
microscope.  Adapting them for use on a telescope is probably not worth the
time.  Buy an OM-1 instead.

>        Anyone know for a loader for the 250 exp spools. I assume that a
> Ca*on or Ni*on loader would work.

Any of the loaders will work.  I think they were all made by the same company
and just badged differently.
                                -mark