Re: [OM] Worn out Zuikos

Subject: Re: [OM] Worn out Zuikos
From: Jim Couch <jamesbcouch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 21:01:10 -0700
I have only worn out one Zuiko lens, a 75-150 zoom. After many years of use (and yes abuse) and a couple of CLAs (including one field repair) it was so beat and loose that it was time for replacement. I think these are exceptional circumstances for most lenses, especially the well built Zuikos. (I have had more problems with third party lenses in this regard.) Other than that I don't think lenses really wear out.

Can't really help you with the rest of your dilema as it really depends on your shooting style, subjects you like, ect. I know for me the OMs work great and I don't really see a real advantage to a medium format rig. 4x5, now that is a different story, as I would love to have a view camera some day.

I think that you have been sitting on Albert's side of the wagon for a bit to long! :)

(And what is wrong with two systems anyway?) :)

Jim Couch

AG Schnozz wrote:

Do Zuikos eventually wear out?  At what point have they deserved
a well-earned retirement?  Are the silver-haired ones ready for
pension?  Does the glass suffer from photon-wear?  (or is
photon-wear what the lenses wear under their caps?)

Why does the thought of going digital become more desirable all
the time?  If I'm gonna have to replace things, I might as well
go with NEW technology.  Right?  I always wanted a big-honkin
lens--why spend the dosh on geezer-glass?

I'm feeling kinda down on the OM system right now.  Am I too
close to the edge of the wagon?

But what makes the decision so hard is my love for B&W
photography.  But 35mm just doesn't cut it.  I've got 4x5, but
don't really care for it.  Medium format is just right.  But
then I've got two systems.  Grrr.

This isn't easy.

AG