Re: [OM] T32 is not firing at 1/60 but at 1/30 downwards

Subject: Re: [OM] T32 is not firing at 1/60 but at 1/30 downwards
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 10:40:39 -0300
on 10/09/2003 06:41, Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas at cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
wrote:

Hi Carlos and all,

>> Why on earth would this be happening. On Manual mode T32 on my OM2 will not
>> fire at 1/60 but will do it at 1/30 or slower.
>
> This is the behaviour of my black OM-2n. Incidentally, the instruction
> manual for the OM-2 tells to set it at 1/30 for manual flash operation.
The manual I have ((IEOM2.0978.8MS) says 1/30 is "recommendable". On page
36, third column right, point 6: "Set the shutter speed ring to 1/60 second
or slower (1/30 recommendable)".

On page 42, Q & A: "...Check the shutter speed setting and change to 1/60 or
slower if necessary. At Manual operation, the built in incorrect flash
prevention system does not permit flashing at shutter speeds between 1/125
and 1/1000 second."

On the published .pdf of the 2, on OM2-2of5.pdf page 43: Major Check Point
26, WX/ 1)Assurance/ 1) The X contact should flash at the shutter speed of
1/60 or slower on the Manual Mode and not ay 1/125 or faster.

On OM2-1of5.pdf, page 5, the WX mechanism (prevention of flashing at 1/125
sec and faster) a circuit diagram is drawn stating that the WX mechanism
would be ON at 1/60 or slower, and OFF at 1/125 or faster.

From my own hearing (haloperidol blood level checked and o.k.): I can hear a
very soft click sound when turning the shutter speed ring between 1/60 and
1/30 *ONLY*, I suppose this could be the sound of the X1-X2 contact pieces
switching contact and that this sound should be heard between 1/125 and
1/60.

>> About the meter needle: Manual and Auto measures do not differ.
>
> If by 'measures' you mean needle indications, these are very unlikely to
> differ... The (rather usual) problem here would be the difference between
> needle indications and the *actual* OTF-auto exposure time.
I was trying to point out that actual Manual and Auto exposure times were
the same. Meter needle does not tell you that I know, I shouldn't have
mentioned it. But 1/30, 1/60 and 1/125 do sound different.

>> I had the speeds checked recently and was told they were right.
>
> I've seen an OM-2n firing the flash (in Manual) at 1/125... it suffered
> from 'sticky magnet', so the actual exposure time was somewhat longer than
> 1/60, thus being able to fire the flash (fully open shutter).
As far as I understand this, the X1-X2 mechanism would be activated either
by the position of the shutter speed ring or from the actual speed of the
first curtain: X2 will switch to ON while X1 is still ON, regardless the
speed set at the shutter ring.

What am I missing here?

> Hope this helps,
No I still feel helpless, though not hopeless... this is *my* black OM2 and
must work properly ;-)

Un abrazo,

Fernando.