[OM] I'm with Skip...

Subject: [OM] I'm with Skip...
From: "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 08:17:32 -0500
Except that I would probably give Hoya a little more slack that he. I have
been slowly replacing my filters with B+W and Hoya over the last several
years. I have arrived at the filters that I feel I really want (R25 and 29,
Y, 81A, Polarizer) and each time I order from B&H, I get one. This way, I've
spread the expense.

I can't say that I can see a dramatic difference, but I know I've done
everything I can to eliminate problems. I found directions on the web to
build a home auto collimater, but just reading it make my head hurt.
Ideally, there would be someone with such an instrument that would, for a
nominal fee, test filters. Until then, I'll just throw money at the problem.

I recall that someone, John Hermanson, I think, reported that our thin OM
brand filters, along with Nikon's OEM filters, are made by Hoya. I've also
read a lot of negatives about Tiffen. In their case, I believe they must
have different lines of filters, those for sale in mall camera stores, and
those sold to professionals in the movie business. I also know they don't
make their own polarizers, which are made in Japan, and look suspiciously
like Hoya.

In any event, don't use a filter unless it is really necessary. The ultimate
insult is the clear protection filter. If you are in a situation where one
is required for that purpose, use a UV or a 1A, and get a little something
for your trouble.

Bill Pearce