Re: [OM] My name is bill and I'm an enabler

Subject: Re: [OM] My name is bill and I'm an enabler
From: "Walt Wayman" <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 13:41:46 -0400
Where to begin about the 300/2.8 Tamron?

I don't find this lens particularly nose-heavy, but that may be
because I use it with an OM-4T(i) and an MD2, which makes for
better balance, I suppose, both hand-held and on a tripod or
monopod.  And on a tripod, the Manfrotto 405 head is the greatest
thing since sliced bread!

Personally, I think the bokeh is great, particularly at f/2.8 and
f/4.

The Oly 1.4X-A is the best teleconverter for this lens.  I've got
the 1.4X and 2X Tamrons, but I've never used them.  The Oly 2X-A
ain't bad either.  It and the 1.4X-A are way more convenient, too,
since they fit on the back of the adapter and not between it and
the lens.  A lot less fiddling in the field.

The only lens I have that has a filter more or less premanently
attached is the Tamron 300/2.8.  It's a 112mm B+W UV, and it's
there only because there's no really secure lens cap for this baby
and I sure wouldn't want to have to replace that humongous front
element.  The filter comes off, though, when I use the lens.

I'm sure I've left something out, but to paraphrase the old Harley-
Davidson bumper sticker, If you ain't got a Tamron 300/2.8, you
ain't got s**t.

Walt