Re: [OM] Equinox sunset

Subject: Re: [OM] Equinox sunset
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 13:30:26 -0600
At 11:48 AM 9/10/2003 -0700, Dean C. Hansen wrote:
Hello OMers,
    On Sept 23 the sun will set directly in the west (does the same
about March 21, too).  There's a stretch of four-lane highway a few
miles from home that runs due east-west, and in previous years I've
tried to get a shot of the setting sun as it hits the center line of the
west-bound lane about a mile in the distance.  To the eye, it's a great
shot--two rows of red taillights of the cars making a bee-line for this
glowing sphere.  But it's a real challenge to capture on film--there's
such a huge difference in exposure.  Expose for the scenery and autos,
and the sun is several f-stops overexposed.  Expose for the sun, and all
the rest is nearly black.
    So do I try a Cokin ND filter, covering just the upper half of the
FOV, and try to bring the sky and sun into something near the exposure
needed for rest of the shot?  Can I put an additional ND "spot" filter
just where the sun will be?

That's one approach, certainly, and until a few years ago probably the only reasonable one open to you. In similar situations in the past, I have taken multiple frames (one or more exposed for each of the extremely-lit or glowing elements of the scene) and have then combined them into one image in Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro.

It's just a suggestion -- but maybe one worth burning a roll of film for, even if you can't immediately get access to a suitably-provisioned computer. The images will always keep.

Garth