[OM] Lens purchases update

Subject: [OM] Lens purchases update
From: Mike Ferguson <mikeferguson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 22:27:14 +0100
Hey guys,

You may remember that a couple of weeks a go I was looking for advice on my
OM system, and particularly on lenses.

And I got, well, just a wealth of advice.  Too much advice, maybe - is that
possible?

Anyway, one thing that came through loud and clear was the need for
something a little longer and something a little shorter than my collection
at that time.  So I went shopping on that auction site, and made a few
acquisitions (with apologies to those who were bidding against me!).

So here is the list, along with what I paid:

OLYMPUS OM 28-48 ZOOM LENS MINT  £105.86

Olympus Zuiko OM Lens 200mm Complete  £97.05

Olympus Zuiko 28mm f2.8  £40.15

Olympus 75-150 zoom £15.01

The 200 is an f5, and the 'extra' 75-150 is tatty but appears optically
clear for all practical purposes.

And, for those viewers just joining us, here is a list of the stuff I had
already declared, along with prices:

OM2SP - £83.01

OM2n - £89.00 (my one non-auction purchase...very brassed but fine
otherwise)

OM1 - £60 - with a silver-nosed 50/1.8

OM40 - £26.55 - again, very brassed, but works fine

T32 - £64.95

T20 - £23.00

Winder 2 - £30.00

Zuiko 135/3.5 - £26.81

Zuiko 75-150/f4 - £36.00

Zuiko 35-70/f4 - £48.01

I make that somewhere in the region of £750, or about 1200 of your American
dollars.  For a, to my mind, pretty comprehensive 35mm SLR system.

But here, of course, is where the rot sets in.  Because there will be those
who feel I have been foolish, those who feel I should not have spread my net
so widely, those who feel I should have focussed my attention on 'that'
killer lens.  And this is great!  It's why I'm an OM list subscriber.

Except, as I said before, I am a snapper.  I try to have a camera with me
most places (hence the C*n*n Ixus until I fully realised the shortcomings of
APS).  I love zoom lenses.  They're so damn easy.  Like OTF exposure.
Mostly I figure some guy in Japan probably does have a better idea of how
exposure should work than I do and has built it into my camera.  When I want
to do something a little different, I can probably figure how to.  And
people I show my 'good' snaps to say 'gosh' in all the right places and
never mention the decreased image clarity inherent in the zoom lens...

So the other day I bought a load of short dated Fuji Superia 200 from Boots
(that's the UK Walgreens, I guess), because it was a bargain.  It's not
slide film.  I intend to process it myself in my bathroom, using whichever
C41 kit is the cheapest.  I will be responsible for my own mistakes...

Then I shall scan the resulting negatives into my Mac using my Minolta
Dimage II, and may have to fix them a bit in Photoshop, I'm sure.  Then I
shall send some pics to the people involved and they will be happy.  If I'm
lucky they'll wonder how I can take pictures that look a little different to
the ones they took themselves with their point-and-shoots.  I might try to
explain that's it's some combination of decent equipment and an ability to
'think outside the box' - yes, I can take a picture of you all being drunk,
but if you move over here and I stand off to one side, then we've got a
photograph...

But perhaps I won't

I maintain that composition is all in photographs.  Fair enough, If you have
the choice then get it properly exposed onto wonderful slide film and print
it on the best paper available.

But mostly, just take pictures and marvel at yourself.  Because most people
will.

That's worth £750 of anyone's money...

Mike

PS  OK, it's another book.  Sorry...
PPS  Did I get stiffed on any of my lens purchases?  Like I can do anything
about it...