Re: [OM] [ot] UK listies.. what kind of power plug?

Subject: Re: [OM] [ot] UK listies.. what kind of power plug?
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 21:18:19 -0600
At 02:49 AM 9/12/2003 +0100, Julian Davies wrote:
UK standard 13A mains plugs. Unique. Adaptors readily available.
If you see a socket whick looks like a U.S. one, it's for an electric razor.
Under UK electricity supply regulations, that's as much current as they are
safe for.

What do you mean polarised?

Two-pronged North American plugs are "polarized" in the sense that one of the two "active" blades is larger/wider than the other (for devices where it matters, for safety reasons, which wire is the "hot" one, where the ground is not used). With three-pronged N.A. plugs, the hot and neutral blades are usually the same width, since there's only one possible way to insert the plug. Our sockets accept both styles of plugs, of course.

Having been to Blighty a couple o' times, I can recommend that you pick up an adapter plug from your local AAA/CAA office, or at your origin or destination airports. Believe me, they're everywhere, and the sales clerks will likely know exactly what you need. You can also find this info all over the Web using the trusty search engine of your choice.

Garth