Re: [OM] 3v lithium battery in my OM4T

Subject: Re: [OM] 3v lithium battery in my OM4T
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 12:55:55 -0700
I'm not sure the lithium is such a bad choice for an XA, which has much different voltage/current demands than an OM. It's not than lithium batteries are bad, just that they are not suited for this particular use.

The problem with the OMs with electronic shutters is that they need a fair amount of current to hold the second curtain open. If the battery can't hold its voltage under that demand, the safety circuit in the camera locks it up until released.

The use of lithium and alkaline batteries in these cameras has led to windfall deals for me and other listees. People using the wrong batteries find that the battery test is fine (with no load), but the camera locks up (when voltage drops under load), often erratically (depending on time between shots, shutter speeds, temperture, etc.), decide it's broken and sell it as a parts camera. Put proper batteries in it and it is fine. I have bought several of these for parts, only to discover they are fine. Anybody need an OM-10 or OM-G? I'm keeping the OMPCs I got this way.

Since the lithiums have very long shelf life, the only possible proper use I can imagine with OMs is to lurk in the corner as an emergency, short term, back-up to the back-up silver-oxides.

Moose

Geilfuss Charles wrote:

Greetings All,
For what ever it is worth I relate this experience. Some tima ago I purchased
an XA on _bay that I cleaned up and used extensively and which worked
flawlessly. After a year of heavy use I put it away for a while and as is my
habit I opened the battery cover to remove the battery. Much to my surprise
there was a single Lithium battery in place that was still going strong.
Needless to say it was sayonara and in with the SR44.