Re: [OM] Re: UK Plug Points and Voltage Converters

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: UK Plug Points and Voltage Converters
From: "Roger D. Key" <rdk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 08:11:19 +0200
You should be able to find an appropriate converter in the shops (such as
Boots or W.H.Smiths) at London Airport, or other British airports, at a
reasonable price. I know that they have converters for European plus of
various sorts.

Roger Key

Regan Conley wrote:

>From: Siddiq <iddibhai@xxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: [OM] [ot] UK listies.. what kind of power plug?
>
>On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 21:18:19 -0600, Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>>You can also find this
>>info all over the Web using the trusty search engine of your choice.
>>
>been there done that. all i got was the same cryptic stuff that Julian
>mentioned (no offence mate). 13A? to me, that's a rotary engine, not a
>power plug. or maybe a shoe size <g> anyway, i did gather that it is
unique
>so obviously the round pin adapters i have wont fit.

You should be able to find what you need at Magellan's Travel
www.magellans.com (NAYY) or other similar on- or off-line travel shop,
luggage shop or travel bookstore.  In plain English there are two issues
1) the plug points, and 2) the electrical current.

You need small plastic adaptors that will make the plug points on your
American electronics (two vertical flat parallel pins OR with an added
third pin centered below) fit into UK sockets (which take plugs with two
horizontal flat level pins with a third large vertical pin centered
above).  These plug point adaptors should work for any normal type of
plug you have (polarized, non-polarized, grounded, etc.)  Make sure you
get the right plug points!  Australian plug points look similar, but the
two flat pins are not level.  (The two round pin adaptors are used in
the rest of Europe, but not the UK).

 You also need to be concerned about what type of voltage your
appliances are designed to take.  Some American electronics come with
charging cords that include converters (both my lap top and my cell
phone have these, and it happens automatically.  My hairdryer and
never-used travel iron also have converters, but you must turn a switch
to select the voltage.  If your electronics don't come equipped this way
you'll need a voltage converts that converts 220-240v (used in Europe)
to 110v (used in US).  Most converters will convert either way.