Re: [OM] New E-1

Subject: Re: [OM] New E-1
From: "bdcolen" <bdcolen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 10:39:02 -0400
Let me suggest that people consider another way to look at this -
especially considering that this is a list made up of individuals who
are devoted to the use of an official extinct camera system,and one
that, on top of the fact that it is out of production, failed even when
it was in production to keep up with "advances" in 35 mm
photography...(And I am NOT suggesting that there is anything either
illogical or wrong in making that choice; I'm simply pointing out that
this is a group of people who clearly feel that they do not need the
'latest and greatest.' :-)

The big question to ask yourself before making the digital plunge is NOT
"will this camera - system - be outmoded in 12 to 18 months when
something with more mega pixels or a bigger sensor comes along." Rather,
the question is,"will this camera or system do what I want to do with
it?" Period. For most people, including most working pros, 5 mega pixels
is more than sufficient - look at the fact that Nikon's
recently-announced top-of-the-line pro camera is not, like Canon's, a 10
mgp full-frame camera, nor is it even a 6 mgp partial-frame - it's a
4something mgp camera with about a 1.5 ration. Instead of going for
higher resolution and file size, Nikon listened to pros who said 'I need
better electronics; faster on-off; faster write-speed, etc."

The E-1 produces terrific images at print sizes most of us utilize - and
with software help can produce prints big enough to use as your
bedspread. It has fast and accurate autofocus; almost instantaneous
on/off and sleep/wake times; no discernable shutter lag, and a good - if
thus far limited- set of lenses. So why would one need to trade up next
year. If it produces excellent results this year, it will produce them
next year, ad infiniitum. This is one solidly built camera; we will not
need to replace it because it won't hold up.

So I would suggest that when considering the E-1, or any other digital,
you ask yourselves the question - "Does this camera meet my photographic
needs." If the answer is yes, if I may turn the song line on it's head -
"Do, stop, thinking about tomorrow." :-)

B. D.