Re: [OM] New E-1

Subject: Re: [OM] New E-1
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 23:32:38 +0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "bdcolen" <bdcolen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> The big question to ask yourself before making the digital plunge is NOT
> "will this camera - system - be outmoded in 12 to 18 months when
> something with more mega pixels or a bigger sensor comes along." Rather,
> the question is,"will this camera or system do what I want to do with
> it?" Period.

Agree!

> For most people, including most working pros, 5 mega pixels
> is more than sufficient - look at the fact that Nikon's
> recently-announced top-of-the-line pro camera is not, like Canon's, a 10
> mgp full-frame camera, nor is it even a 6 mgp partial-frame - it's a
> 4something mgp camera with about a 1.5 ration. Instead of going for
> higher resolution and file size, Nikon listened to pros who said 'I need
> better electronics; faster on-off; faster write-speed, etc."

Depends on what you want the camera to do for you. 5MP is definately not
good enough to replace 35mm film for landscape (don't ask me to go MF or LF
for landscape, I'm happy with 35mm slides for landscapes), for portrait or
news that should be ok. I think when E-3 reach 12MP or more I will be happy
to use it for all purpose, provided I can get a F2 tele (for the reason of
DOF), F3.5 is too "slow".

> So I would suggest that when considering the E-1, or any other digital,
> you ask yourselves the question - "Does this camera meet my photographic
> needs." If the answer is yes, if I may turn the song line on it's head -
> "Do, stop, thinking about tomorrow." :-)

Or before considering any digital think about the OM, if your OM system can
satisfy all you need why spend money on digital? I'm not a pro for me I just
treat DC as a toy but it is fun to pay with.

C.H.Ling