Re: [OM] Worn out Zuikos

Subject: Re: [OM] Worn out Zuikos
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <omlist@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 20:01:52 +0200
Ehh....Schnozz....just editing your mail a bit to help you understand
what decission you already have made :)

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 18:11:34 -0700 (PDT)
AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Living on a rock Dan wrote:
> >What Camera?
>
> The Contax 645AF or the Pentax 645 NII.  Several months ago I
> had the check halfway filled out for a brand new Pentax.
> Chickened out at the last second.  Good thing too, since the
> battery insert decided to go into meltdown mode right in the
> store!
>
> Anyway, this does have relevance to this list as I have
> seriously explored many MF options and have found only two
> cameras that are even remotely close to the usability of the OM
> system.  From a pure ergonomic and feature perspective, the

<SNIP>

> From a bang-for-the-buck perspective, the Pentax rocks.  Those
> lenses are no slouches either.  Extremely sharp, contrasty and
> filled with Bokeh!  As a field camera, the Pentax is a better
> choice.  I believe the optics are actually a bit superior for
> landscape photography

<SNIP>

> In the NII model, they
> addressed most of the design weaknesses and feature shortages
> that the AF-N had.  The data imprinting includes lens
> information beyond just F-stop used.
>
> The weight of the Pentax is amazing.  Their new lenses are also
> very lightweight.  This is an outfit that you can comfortably
> backpack with.  When all is said and done, the Pentax with a
> decent ZOOM lens is still lighter and smaller than the average
> DSLR.  And less expensive...
>
> My only problem with the Pentax is the film-insert.  I would
> much prefer interchangeable backs.  However, this is where a
> second body comes in.  I wouldn't travel without a spare,
> anyway.  Might as well load one with the Velvia 100 and the
> other with Delta.  Hmm.  Just like today, with my OMs.

<SNIP>

> Battery life in the Pentax NII is amazing.  Besides, the
> batteries are AA.  Doesn't get any cheaper than that.  The
> Pentax has much better power management

<SNIP>

> You can spend a week in the north-country without
> worrying about batteries.
>
> Back to the lenses... The AF lenses in the Pentax line have been
> getting better and better, faster and faster.  The AF sensor is
> incredibly accurate and the lenses snap into focus more like
> what we are used to with the 35mm wonderbricks.

<SNIP>

> The Contax and the Pentax are both logical choices in the
> "upgrade path" to medium-format from the OM system.  The
> viewfinders in either one will feel like home.  The Mamiya,
> Bronica and Hassleblad are all dimmer and have courser focus
> screens.  Kinda the difference between a 1-x and 2-x series
> focus screens.
>
> IF (a big IF) I do go with a new MF system, it would be one of
> these two systems.  I'd have to give the nod to Pentax, though,
> because of lens choices (the entire line of 645 lenses will work
> with the latest body) and field use.

Ken, looking at the above quotes, it seems that more than half your
heart with the Pentax 645NII. Can't say I blame you, for various
reasons, they are really good and I agree with you on much of what
you say.

However you do know that Pentax make 6x7 also, right? Considering how
happy you are with really large negatives, it might be interresting.
I've been handeling a 6x7, and it's not as "bad" as you may thing.

Plus....of course....there is a secret brotherhood of Pentax 6x7
users. Imagine, you could become Brother Schnozz ;) I don't know if
645NII users are considred as half-brothers, though...

--thomas