Re: [OM] OM4 metering...

Subject: Re: [OM] OM4 metering...
From: "John Hudson" <13874@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 19:32:24 -0300
----- Original Message -----
From: "Moose" <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, 14 September, 2003 06:33 PM

> I believe the highlight and shadow functions are unique to Oly and the
> OM-3 and 4 series, so there probably isn't much in the way of third
> party info on them.  Their operation is pretty simple and logical.
> Ordinary exposure setting, average or spot, assumes that you want the
> area measured to come out as neutral grey (or its equivalent brightness
> in color). Pushing the Highlight button assumes that you want the
> measured area to be as bright as the film is capable of handling,

I am confused here. Pushing the highlighht button should be a necessity when
the spot metering has been taken off a subject that is significantly whiter
than middle grey, for example snow in bright sunlight. The highlight button
adds two f stops to the spot metered exposure. Conversely, the shadow button
decreases the spot metered exposure by 2 2/3 stops if the spot metering was
taken off a subject significantly darker than middle grey.

Contrary to what Moose says, I do not feel that the high light button
"assumes that you want the measured area to be as bright as the film
[can]......hand[le]". All the two buttons accomplish is to compensate for
spot metering that is significantly at variance with middle grey.

The two stop over exposure and 2 2/3 stop under exposure are cited in the
OM4T instruction book.

jh