Re: [OM] Lens Storage in Bags

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens Storage in Bags
From: Thomas Haegin <haegint@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 09:16:46 +0200 (CEST)
Hello Dan

Chris advice on lens rear-to-rear storage is quite
workable, I do that too at times. However, I would counsel
against it if your bag is separated from yourself during
transport (being handled by other persons on trains,
flights). OK, that should be rare circumstances anyway :-)

Normally I store all my stuff in a sideboard where the
lenses I keep in pouches or their cases. If I take the cam
with me, I would pack a bag with gear I plan on using for
the occasion. Then I usually do not take pouches and hard
cases with me. You will hate fiddling the lenses out of
them when you need to change lenses during walks, etc. You
will have one hand and one slot in the bag too little
handling these extra covers, especially if you are
standing.

There is no doubt that pouches and hard cases provide extra
protection when really travelling. One member here told a
horror story of being checked at the airport where an
especially nice and forthcoming clerk flipped the camera
bag upside down and just shook and dumped all contents on
the sorting table!! Without pouches and cases, this would
have been disaster...

So in sum, I would keep lenses and pouches ready for
certain circumstances, even though I had a good, protective
camera bag.

kind greetings,
Thomas