Re: [OM] Worn out Zuikos

Subject: Re: [OM] Worn out Zuikos
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 10:14:55 -0700 (PDT)
T.Clausen wrote:
>However you do know that Pentax make 6x7 also, right?
>Considering how happy you are with really large negatives, it
>might be interresting.

The Pentax 6x7 is an interesting beast.  I've contemplated it
too.  However, it ain't got the electronics that I'm wanting.
I'm wanting autofocus and winders.  And the size and weight of
the body and lenses puts the camera into the category of "just
manageble".

As much as I like the bigger negatives/transparencies, I have
found that 645 is just big enough for my needs.  I've been
shooting 4x5 again, and have to say that those pictures can be
glorious, but at what cost?  I work very fast and usually see my
picture right away.  I've used the OM system for so long that I
hate going backwards in technology.  My expectations are too
high.

There are a multitude of reasons why 645 is better for *me*
where those same reasons would have no affect on anybody else.
The tool must be a logical and automatic extension of my mind.
4x5 gives me incredible control, but I lack the "connection"
with the equipment.  It works for me, but not with me.

What does that have to do with 6x7?  The only 6x7 that really
gets my interest is that Fuji SLR with all of the movements.
Takes a digital back too.  But 10 pounds for a camera is a bit
hefty for my use.  The Pentax is a beast.  Kinda like carrying a
brick.  But one look through that viewfinder and you are sold.
I feel that the Pentax 67 is like the OM system in that it
inspires.  Of the 645 systems, the Contax is the one that
inspires the most, but the Pentax is a close second.  The Mamiya
viewfinder is way down the list.

>Plus....of course....there is a secret brotherhood of Pentax
>6x7 users. Imagine, you could become Brother Schnozz ;) I
>don't know if 645NII users are considred as half-brothers,
>though...

Pentax:  The Rodney Dangerfield of camera systems.

AG-Schnozz