Re: [OM] New E-1

Subject: Re: [OM] New E-1
From: W Shumaker <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 20:48:45 -0400
I would love to have an E-1 camera, even if the E-3 comes out in 1-2
years, but the question for me is the E-1 system. You have to buy into
it as a system camera. The OM, whether an OM-1 or an OM-4t still fits
into a system. The DOF of the smaller sensor, poorer working distance
with macro lenses, and low light noise performance are the biggest
issues for me. My experience with the C-5050 says that a lot can be
done with 5mp. At 8mp I'm pretty much happy. I can't help but feel a
5mp full frame 35mm sensor would be a better system camera though.

The response time needs to include auto-focus in my opinion. It is a
royal pain in the a** to sit there with the button half depressed. My
hand will cramp up in no time if that is what I have to do to get short
shutter lag. The shutter lag should be compared to a modern SLR with
auto-focus, that includes auto-focus in it's response time, as well as
switching between any operational modes.

The number of shots I loose with the C-5050 because I have to wait is
too much. I want a zoom ring and a focus ring to crank when I need to.
The time it takes for the 5050 to figure out I am no longer half
depressing the shutter button and instead trying to zoom is painfully
slow, especially when I see my photo opportunity slipping away. I'm
assuming that is not the case with the E-1?

BD, what are the lenses like when not using auto-focus? Are they easy to
snap into focus. Are they silky smooth like my OM Zuikos? Are the zooms
two-touch? Is the viewfinder view as big as an OM? Can I switch to spot
metering with the touch of a button? Is it easy to manually tweak after the
auto-focus? more nitty-gritty, more more please.... I need the E-1 gestalt.

Wayne