Re: [OM] offer for hot camera maybe?

Subject: Re: [OM] offer for hot camera maybe?
From: Doug Smith <dhsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 22:43:03 -0400
On Monday September 15 2003 5:35 PM, NSURIT@xxxxxxx wrote:
> In a message dated 9/15/03 4:19:05 PM Central Daylight Time,
>
> waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> > Since I'm a little
> > slow to see through these things, maybe someone can enlighten me just
> > what the scam is
>
> I don't know, but could it be an incredibly dumb scam artist?  Probably
> not! Maybe they have acquired your credit card number and just need your
> address to really cause some problems.  What with all the list mining stuff
> we have been talking about . . .
>
> I would love to hear some theories advanced by the less techno-challenged
> members of this group or perhaps the more larcenous minds.  Bill Barber

I was recently involved with the purchase of an used stereo by this means. I
put a lowball bid on ebey which I didn't win, I hadn't really expect to. A
couple of days later I received an email offering me a stereo like the one I
bid on. What I did and would reccomend to someone looking at this kind of
deal is to start checking the information you do have. Key the phone number
into google. Does it fit the name and or address of the the person sending
the email. Key the name in, see what come up. No info doesn't mean it's a bad
bet.  Most of all Trust your gut if it is telling you something is wrong
here, good chance it is.