Re: [OM] Tamron 35-105/2.8 cheap

Subject: Re: [OM] Tamron 35-105/2.8 cheap
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 22:17:13 -0700
on 9/15/03 3:06 PM, Johnie Stafford at jms@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> n> In a message dated 9/8/2003 12:03:14 AM Central Standard Time,
> n> Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
>>> http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2949435998&category=707
>>> ---- Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur ----
>>>

> n> Read the description!  Bill Barber
>
> Yes, I'm the idiot that went for this auction. Its what I get for
> putting in a bid on my way out the door, late for work. I missed that
> critical statement in the description. I got the lens today and what
> the description left out was the reason that the zoom is rough. There
> are clear signs of impact on the filter ring.
>
> *sigh* I'll be kicking myself for this one for a long time.
>
> Johnie

Before you give up, consider checking into fixing the lens. I think
sometimes this is reasonable... if you pay another $100 or so, you might
still consider it a good deal. If the parts needed are not optical, and
there isn't too much labor involved it might be economic. If the lens is not
really usable otherwise, you aren't out much more than the cost of an
estimate to check it out.

I did notice the description, and my first thoughts were 'how much will it
take to fix this...?' and 'are the parts available...?'. The second question
is becoming a big concern with OM stuff, but as this is a Tamron and a
relatively newer design perhaps you will luck out some...?
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...