[OM] Wide zooms, was Tamron 24-48mm

Subject: [OM] Wide zooms, was Tamron 24-48mm
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 12:59:18 -0700
Piers Hemy wrote:

<snip> There may be a Tok*na equivalent,
The Tokina 'equivalent' is somewhat different. The Tamron SP, at 24-48/3.5-3.8 is slower, but goes a little longer in fl than the Tokina AT-X 24-40/2.8

but it's the only zoom I know that goes so wide.
There are 2 relatively modern designs that go wider and are sold new under several brand names:

The 19-35/3.5-4.5 is a fairly recent design which uses plastic extensively. Although relatively large compared to any one of the Zuikos in the same fl/speed range, it is quite light at 345g/12.17oz. Mine is a Vivitar Series 1 and I know they are also sold under the Phoenix and Cosina brands and very possibly under others. It focuses in the same direction as Zuikos.

The 18-28/4-4.5 is a slightly older design of predominantly metal construction weighing 477g/16.83oz. This is made by Samyang, but also sold under the Phoenix label in the past, the Exacta label currently, and again, possibly others. It focuses the opposite way from Zuikos.

In prior threads about these 2 lenses, opinions about the 18-28 vary quite a lot, both as to optical quality and, to a lesser extent, about build quality. There are a lot of list members who equate metal construction with quality and reliablility and they generally dis the 19-35. A couple of listees have commented that their 19-35 feels like it won't last because of the plastic construction, but that it works perfectly so far and is good enough and cheap enough that they aren't worried. I don't recall any actual negative mechanical experiences with the 19-35 being posted.

Brian has posted magazine tests of these 2 on his site. Based on those tests the 19-35 appears to be the optically better lens. I have the 19-35 and am quite happy with it, but have never used the 18-28.

You will like it, as I think Bill Barber will also say - and he will tell
you about the difficulty of finding the hood, but he speaks with little
authority on that matter - 'COS HE HAS GOT ONE.  (And I am *still* looking,
Bill).  Without the hood, you cannot fit filters to the lens.

A hood for the Tokina is also hard to find. It took me a while, but I found the metal, screw-in version. There is also a plastic clip-on version I haven't located yet. Either the hood or some care is necessary. As part of my first test shots with it I took the same shot with the sun just outside the frame both with and without my hand blocking the sun (didn't have the hood yet). The one without has a bright reddish wash across about half the frame. The other is fine.

I opted for the Tokina over the Tamron because I already had a slowish 19-35mm lens and wanted something faster to form a fast 2 lens kit with the Tamron 35-105/2.8 and a fast/macro 3 lens kit with 50/1.4, Viv 2x macro-tele converter and Tokina AT-X 60-120/2.8

Like Regan, I like zoom lenses for travel and casual shooting where photography is not my primary focus (yes Garry, a punny). I get shots with them that I just wouldn't with a bunch of primes to change. And I find Oly's choice of zooms incomplete. My one lens slow kit used to be the 35-70/3.5-4.5, but has been the 35-105/3.5-4.5 lately. Two lens slow kit is generally the Viv 19-35/3.5-4.5 and Tokina AT-X 35-200/3.5-4.5 or 50-250/4-5.6

Moose