Re: [OM] (OT) Oz P76 (was P67)

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) Oz P76 (was P67)
From: "John Wheeler" <wheelej@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 11:16:13 +1000
Andrew,

Please don't knock that wonderful car. Back in 1970 when our little five-man
engineering company hadn't had an order for a nasty length of time and was
going down the mine real quick, we had had delivered a fifteen ton NC
machining centre ordered the previous year during healthier times (too
expensive to cancel). The wretched tool sat mute on the shop floor for at
least three months until an old mate from Leyland came in wanting four P76
engine blocks partly machined by like, yesterday. We did the job and ended
up doing two thousand more and then five thousand steering boxes! Got out of
debt and started to live again.

But it was a practical car, if one had a flat one could still get the spare
out of the boot (sorry, trunk) without having to move the 44 gallon drum
which the boot could contain. And of course the V8 donk is still going today
in the Range Rover. But poor quality control, ill-timed marketing, and just
plain stupid management sounded the death knell.

John.

Andrew Fildes wrote:

What, like big, blocky, clumsy and seriously ill-timed?
(Murkins translation - Edsel of the Oz auto industry).
AndrewF