Re: [OM] OT: Falling Digi Prices,"4/3" lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Falling Digi Prices,"4/3" lenses
From: "bdcolen" <bdcolen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 11:49:27 -0400
The question of whether you will "lose half your money in less than
three years" is a budgetary question, not a photographic one.

First off, at the moment your statement is even close to true with a
Leica M, which used to hold its value so well that some foolish people
consider Leica rangefinder's to be "investments."

But more to the point, the question is whether you want to start
shooting digital - not what will the camera be worth at some point in
the future. God knows the OMs weren't good 'investments,' they were and
are good cameras. An E-1 is an excellent 5 mgp camera today - and
everything I've seen thus far would indicate it will be an excellent 5
mgp camera three years from now. So if current image quality does it for
you - go for it. This business of 'what will it be worth three years
from now' can be asked over and over and over to the point where one
would never make the leap.

And of course never making the leap is a perfectly good option if you
only want to shoot film.

Best

B. D.