Re: [OM] Kiron 1.5x

Subject: Re: [OM] Kiron 1.5x
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 15:28:36 -0700
Geez, guys, gimme a chance to reply before piling on!  :-)

I was pretty sure that I would be bidding against fellow list members and Zuikoholics. It closed at 3:31 in the morning my time, so there was no way I was going to be watching, it was going to be a snipe. So I had to just decide what I thought it was worth to me.

So I looked at all the factors:
I missed that fang on a Zuiko 1.4x at $175 a bit ago by not checking the list every hour or less.
Oly America just auctioned one, reconditioned, for $533.
The Zuiko is only likely to fit one lens I own, the 300/4.5.
I have a lot of respect for Kiron quality from personal experience, the list and Cult Classics and this one looked lnib.
These come up very seldom for auction.
I think I was outbid on one a while ago, but don't remember the price.
I don't know what others may have gone for, so I had no price reference.

I weighed all the factors and decided what I felt it was worth to me. I came up somewhere more than a dollar or two north of $50 and set my snipe (so another couple of dollars wouldn't have helped, Wayne, you were just the highest of the pack who set my price). Looking at the bidder list, I don't see any IDs that I would have recognized anyway. May I assume at least some of you were also sniping and just didn't want to pay as much as I thought it was worth?

Sorry to those who didn't get it for less than it is worth to me and I hope you find cheaper ones (but not too much cheaper :-) ). If it isn't what I expect and I decide to sell it, I'll offer it to the list first, but don't hold your breath.

If it's further consolation, the other snipe I set for this morning ended up a dollar short of the closing price. I bid almost $28 for an old Tokina lens hood with scrapes and chips and didn't get it. Of course, I already have a screw-in hood for this lens, so it ws just a bid for convenience, not necessity.

Moose

Wayne Culberson wrote:

Arrrrg.......... somebody named "dreammoose" out-sniped me on this lens!!!
Oh well, congratulations  :-)
wayne
There was more than one list member MIA in this fire fight.  Bill Barber

Yes, but he got it for just the dollar more than I was willing to snipe.
That is what hurts so bad

And so far he hasn't come out of the wood work to admit how far he was
willing to go either. Probably never will, just to aggravate us. He
obviously showed none of us any mercy in this battle.  :-)
At least it went to a good home.