[OM] drop in filter size

Subject: [OM] drop in filter size
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 23:23:05 -0700
I'd like to get a polarizing filter that fits the drop in holder on the
Tamron 300/2.8. I've been unable to find any information as to the
thickness that can be accomodated. The holder appears to be designed for
a 43mm filter and is about 7mm thick. But I have no idea of the max
filter thickness that will fit. 49mm B+W filters I have are about 6mm
thick, and the slim filters I have are between 3 and 4mm. Unfortunately
filter thickness is not generally specified in the catalogues or on the
web sites. So I'd like to hear what others use and what works. Specific
brands and models would be helpful. I don't plan to skimp here so would
like to get a decent MC filter.
By the way, how much of a PITA is it to use a pol in the slip in holder?
As if I could afford the big porthole that goes on the front. I found
that chunk of glass for well north of $300

mike