Re: [OM] drop in filter size

Subject: Re: [OM] drop in filter size
From: "Walt Wayman" <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 09:36:45 -0400
Mike,

I?ve got the "proper" polarizer for this lens, the one made for it
by Tamron.  It is a 43mm filter and is just a smidgen over 6mm
thick.  Unlike other polarizers, it is not in a rotating mount.
Instead, it is in an ordinary filter mount, and changing its
orientation is done by rotating it, that is, screwing or
unscrewing it, in the filter holder.  I don?t find this procedure
to be much of a problem.  My modus operandi is just to view the
scene I intend to shoot through the filter, keeping the filter
holder upright while screwing the filter widdershins and deasil
until I get the desired effect, then drop it in the lens.  It?s
actually easier than doing the same thing when using a rangefinder
camera.

I filed down a couple of Tiffen filters of a sort I like to use
occasionally -- 812 and enhancing -- to just over 6mm, and they
work fine in the rear filter holder.  If you choose to do this, I
highly recommend removing the glass first.  If a polarizer with
the double mount proves to be too thick, you might just remove the
glass and put it in an ordinary filter mount.

Walt