Re: [OM] too little, too late

Subject: Re: [OM] too little, too late
From: "bdcolen" <bdcolen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 11:44:25 -0400
Actually, the market for full-frame, high res sensors is comparatively
small. Where's the Nikon full-size sensor? Why is Nikon's new
top-of-the-line pro-body a 4.1 mgp sensor with a 1.5 factor? If the
market was going toward full frame, 10-11 mgp sensors, like that on
Canon's 1Ds, that's where Nikon would have gone. Sure, there are 2 1/4
shooters who want a "Hassleblad killer," which is what the 1Ds was
designed to be. But for most of us, any benefits of offered by a 1Ds are
outweighed by the huge file size and loss of image-write speed.

The reality is that such sensors are overkill - except for their
elimination of the wide-angle problem. But you don't need either a
full-frame sensor, or a high mgp count, to get outstanding images.

As to the wide angles, keep in mind that Olympus is promising a 22-44
(35mm equiv) zoom by the end of this year or very early next year. That
will mean that E-1 users will have a lens range of 22-108 mm in two,
compact, comparitively light weight lenses.

B. D.