Re: [OM] New E-1

Subject: Re: [OM] New E-1
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 12:42:40 -0700
Seems pretty straightforward to me. The phrase you quote comes after a comma. Transliterating C.H.'s good, but terse, English, I understood him to say that the quality of the lens used is quite obvious on his 10D, the better the lens, the better the image. Several posts have been speculating with neither practical nor informed theoretical basis on whether lens sharpness matters with digital sensors, since they have low pass filters (or some don't, and who know what the spacial frequencies on different cameras are, whatever). As he so often does. C.H. weighs in with the results of practical experience and says, in effect, "Theory and speculation aside, it makes a difference in actual use."

Most useful post yet on the subject IMHO.

Moose

Skip Williams wrote:

"the difference is quite obvious"

CH - What do you mean by this statement?  Difference between what?
 From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

If you don't have high resolution lenses how can you have high resolution
photos? The CCD is small so you need higher resolution. The digital cameras
do use low pass filter (I heard) but it doesn't mean you can use the cheap
low quality lenses. With the 10D I see the lens quality is important, the
different is quite obvious.