Re: [OM] New E-1

Subject: Re: [OM] New E-1
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas" <cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 20:12:18 +0200
Hi, Chuck and all.

>Here's a thought for an adapter with an optical element.  Has anyone
>considered a focal reducer?  I've never seen one for a camera lens.  All
>we get are tele-extenders.  But owners of Schmidt-Cassegrain telescopes
>from Celestron and Meade should be familiar with them.

[snip]

>OK, where's the catch?

The typical adapter with optical element is, in fact, a mild teleconverter
(x1.2 or so), thus allowing a somewhat longer flange-to-film distance.

But a 'focal reducer' does *reduce* the flange-to-film distance too, so
they are *not* suitable for cameras. As someone pointed out,
Schmidt-Cassegrain telescopes have a lot of back focus, so this is not
likely to be a problem.

For instance, I have never seen a focal reducer for a Newtonian 'scope
(much shorter back focus).

Best regards,

Carlos J. Santisteban

<cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>