Re: [OM] two more 300/2.8 questions

Subject: Re: [OM] two more 300/2.8 questions
From: "Walt Wayman" <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 20:21:59 -0400

From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:  Fri, 19 Sep 2003 17:09:47 -0700

>a)  do I have to leave the blank filter in the rear holder all of
>the time, i.e. does leaving the filter holder installed but empty
>hurt the performance of the lens?

I've done it both ways and can't tell any difference.  Maybe I
haven't looked closely enough at the results.

>2) What's the rotating ring with the little brass nob located in
>front of the rubber focus ring used for? At some position there
>feels like a detent.

The knob on mine is black plastic.  It's to limit the range of
focus.  For example, if you know the furthest point your subject
is going to be is 150 feet, but it may come closer, like at a
football game, focus the lens at 150 feet and tighten the knob.
It will prevent the lens from focusing beyond 150 feet, but it
will still focus all the way back to the closest distance of 8.2
feet.  In other words, it just locks in a new "less than infinity"
stop.

Walt