Re: [OM] New E-1

Subject: Re: [OM] New E-1
From: "Lama \(Jim L*Hommedieu\)" <jlamadoo@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 18:41:01 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
It looks like that tiny, tiny 4/3 image sensor would
give me ~ 1.9 cropping factor.  A home-brew
EOS-body-to-OM-mount adapter would only give me 1.6
cropping factor on a Digital Rebel.

Would someone check my math?  The aspect ratio is
different so I treated the two dimensions separately:
Since the image sensor is 18mm x 13.5 mm
the Cropping factor in the long dimension is 36/18
=2x.

Across the short dimension, it's 24mm/18.5 = 1.8x

Overall, then it somewhere in the middle = ~1.9x
---
The E-1 is shown with a lens labeled
14-54mm 1: 2.8 - 3.5
If I'm right about the cropping factor,
this would look like the coverage of a
27 - 103mm

FL of my OM lenses would be cropped to resemble
the picture angle of
24mm -> 46mm f/2.8
28mm -> 53mm f/2
50mm -> 95mm f/ 1.8
85mm -> 162  f/1.8
90mm Series1 -> 171mm f/2.5

I'm sorry, guys.  To me it looks like the ZLR-like
Sony 717 is in my future rather than either
interchangable SLR.  Maybe not.  I mean, if I cannot
keep the automation, why would I spend more to be able
to bolt on a different lens?  The Sony doesn't *look*
like a camera and by the accounts I've read, it wasn't
designed around the human hand.  AT ALL!

Worse than that, I've never had *ANY* Sony for more
than 3 or 4 years.  CD players, cassette Walkman, VCR-
they all die in middle age.  It's a good thing I don't
have $1000 to drop right now, cause I think it will be
a worthless plastic hulk in 3 or 4 years.  I'm not
saying it should be an *investment* but I have high
expectations for *value*.  Okay, I'm *CHEAP*!  [I have
300,000 miles on the 15-year-old Volvo and the the
OM-PC is ticking along just fine.]

Saving my pennies but not holding my breath,
Lama

Skip said,
>My question is whether the OM lenses are further away
from the
film/sensor plane in an E-1 vs. the OM-System.  If so,
then the introduction of
a simple lens element will certainly degrade the fine
performance of
the OM Zuiko's.  If not, then they will offer the same
functionality as
the Canon, Nikon, Fuji, or Kodak DSLR's where you can
use Manual focus
lenses.>